Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kissing Real Estate

At first I thought that we were really missing out on cultural experiences as we spent our days shopping for real-estate, instead we are getting a particular insight into Buenos Aires and Portenos (the people of Buenos Aires, literally "people of the port"). The architecture and interiors are amazing - if there isn't an amazing cage elevator we're surprised. Marble only on the floors - really!
I can't speak a clear sentence in Spanish, but I can now decipher every abbreviation in a Real-estate ad, and can even guess when "divino!" really means that the apartment sucks but the address will impress locals.
The business culture is an odd combination of relaxed "live first sell later", and obsessive promptness; being 5 minutes late for an appointment is almost unforgivable and causes much panic. Whereas when we were excitedly looking at a property posted in the window of an office, the agent observing us from inside came to the door and without a word or exchange of a business card, locked it - time for lunch!

We told our energetic and patient agent Vicky, that we wanted something in a french style building with the original interior - french doors, little balconies, hard wood, etc. Having seen a few apartments, we have now become very fussy about our french style - "these french doors aren't quite as nice a proportion as the others and the hardware is much heavier, the mouldings not as refined, and the balustrade is too chunky" - we are the worst clients! On the other hand, we used to have a complete aversion to air shafts but looking at the one below and many others with amazing stained or textured glass has changed our mind.









On a cultural note, we were caught off guard when after our first apartment viewing the agent representing the property gave us each a kiss on the cheek! Even more surprising was viewing an apartment that was occupied by tenants - that time we received a kiss from the agent AND the tenants. Of course we kiss our own agent all the time. But then came the apartment shown by a very masculine guy and the entire time I couldn't help wondering if we were going to kiss him when we departed. No. And neither did our agent give or receive a kiss. Now I pay close attention and will try to decode the kissing protocol.


We will keep looking, but it seems that due to a few stalled sales in Canada we won't have your Buenos Aires guest rooms available this spring - Sorry!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, keep it up and I will be there shortly! You're only showing the showy ones right? Miss you both but I'm enjoying being able to 'stay in touch."

Love you a tonne, Mum
XXXOXOOXXXOOOO

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I look forward to reading more about it. Looks like it's quite an adventure.

Jim said...

I do not need the guest apartment this year. I will need it next year. Please complete your transactions and let me know when to come help with decorating.

You do know that your French apartment will have to be done completely different than your modern Vancouver abode. We will be using color and nick nacks. Don't argue. I am already working on tear sheets.

grace Ellen said...

Ciao Luigi e Roberto,


Miss you guys. Love your blog with wonderful commentaries and pics.

How could I be jealous? After all I am up to my neck in puppies. Priscilla and Figaro are doing well on potty training as long as I take them out every 30 minutes on the clock. I knew Figaro had a special talent as I watched him chew on the bottom stair and at the same time, let out a stream of urine and never budged from the chewing.

Mom moved in with new guy. Guess she preferred the house on the beach over the trailer. She never returns my calls, so things must be good. Marisa is arriving on the 22nd and if you have any travel miles left in you, come to Seattle. Can I tempt you with a champignon brown rice risotto?

Love, Sis

Anonymous said...

david gave me your blogsite- nice pix of apartments in BA..and quite an impressive website.. you REALLY should buy an apartment - there is already a lineup of people waiting to visit..:)..
-have you had a chance to meet my friend Mariano yet? I know he was out of town when you arrived..
anyway- glad to hear Lewis is fine and you are having fun.
Dennis Dahl

Jim said...

Everyone says such nice things...

I hate you both. You rarely update your blog. You never call. You hardly write. What is wrong with you? Are you living or something?!

I miss you fiercely and can't even call. SO I am going to stop missing and start hating you. So there.

Love, Jim