Friday, January 18, 2008

Valparaiso





Hola, and that is about the extent of our Spanish to date (oh and cafe cordatado of course).

Valparaiso is a gritty yet beautiful city – like Havana meets San Francisco. It’s the kind of place where corrugated steel houses are charming. Its a City of stairs going up, stairs even longer going down, and some just for show (some of you might get the reference).


The food is great and we've stumbled upon some beautiful restaurants. Above is a photo of Lewis´s new best friend- who was actually fed at the table! Don´t worry mum, he got a huge twirly pinch for that (but he was quite cute)

We discovered our new favourite wine - Santa Emiliana Cabernet, full bodied and delicious - about $14 if you buy it at a fancy restaurant to take away, or $4 in the store - we did both. The fist bottle was to bring to a parilla (BBQ) that the owner of our B & B invited us too. It was our first night and we had no idea if any stores would be open. The BBQ was great - in the beautiful courtyard of the B&B with Juan and his friends. Unfortunately, they already had drinks, so Lewis and I had to consume the wine ourselves, and then they played what is surely a Chilean trick on tourists and introduced Robb to piscola - a seriously wicked drink. But I think Lewis was in on it and was simply trying to ensure that I wouldn't drag him around the enitre city the next day - and it worked.

OK - a note about this blogging stuff - why didn't anyone tell me I should read the "How to blog for dummies" prior to landing in South America with a very weak wireless connection! I thought it would be so easy but all I feel is panic about not yet having posted anything! So I now have a bit better idea but it is 3:00am and I should be getting my rest for our 14 days of cruising (sorry, just had too). But for simplicity sake, and while we're on the cruise (tomorrow!) I'm going to try posting photos to a picasa web album - wish me luck!







2 comments:

Jim said...

Tips I have learned about blogging (and if that's not "for dummies" I don't know what is).

Import your photos first. I've recently learned that you can move them once they are in the blog. Just cut and paste like you would with words. Important to know as you must load the photos from the bottom up. You can also import five photos at a time via the "add additional image" button.

If your connection is bad, skip spellcheck and formatting. Much better to get the post up than pretty. If your connection is strong, what the hell? You can't take an extra minute to get it right?

Links to other sites are nice, but not he most important.

If you are paying by the minute, prepare everything off-line, then sign on, upload, and get off the computer.

Don't let the pressure of blogging trump the pressure of enjoying yourself. Remember me in Budapest? I had to stop blogging so I could go out and experience the city. Living is more important than blogging.

Oh, and on that note, don't forget about us. I check in three times a day because I have no life and am living vicariously through you.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I lerve that kitty! I'm glad he charmed some food out of Lewis. Hope you're having a good time despite any hangovers.